Takeoff’s alleged killer is planning to claim self-defense in the Migos rapper’s ongoing murder case. This was revealed during a court hearing on Wednesday (December 15). Attorneys for Patrick Xavier Clark said they’re in the process of building a case that their client acted in self-defense that ultimately ended in the death of the Migos rapper on Nov. 1.
“We feel comfortable that when the time is right that Mr. Clark will have a valid and meritorious claim for self-defense,” said Letitia Quinones, one of Clark’s attorneys, following the hearing per HipHopDX.
Elsewhere in the hearing, Clark also reportedly managed to get his $2 million bond reduced per KHOU.
The bond had originally been set at $2 million for Clark earlier this month but it was reduced to $1 million according to court records obtained by the outlet. Clark’s attorneys argued that the original bond amount was excessive and went against the Texas Constitution, the local news outlet reports. They also argued that Clark’s family couldn’t afford the $2 million bond. Texas Constitution mandates that all prisoners shall be provided sufficient but not excessive bail.
Clark’s attorneys said that if the suspect would be released on bond he would comply with the judge’s orders. The judge is requesting a financial background affidavit and GPS technology that would notify the court of any tampering or violation of bond orders.
However, prosecutors are concerned that Clark could be a flight risk since he was reportedly planning to head to Mexico after the shooting by applying for an expedited passport. Clark’s attorneys argue that his plane ticket was canceled prior to his arrest and that he was planning to lease an apartment last month. His passport was voluntarily surrendered on Wednesday (Dec. 14).
Takeoff was shot and killed in Houston in the early hours of Nov. 1. Quavo, Takeoff’s uncle and groupmate were on the scene, but was unhurt. Takeoff was shot in the head and torso according to the coroner’s report and was pronounced dead at the scene.