What Crazy Donation Prompted A Hazmat Response At A Boston Thrift Store?
Thrift shops and other resale stores probably see a lot of strange donations in their time but it’s not very often a donation causes a hazmat response. This one did!
According to reports, a donation made to a Boomerangs Thrift Shop in Boston prompted a hazmat response that sent three employees to the hospital.
The item that ignited the hazmat response was a lead pig that was used to hold radioactive materials. The manager of the location posted an update to Facebook.
They stated that the item was at some point used to transport radioactive materials, which are typically in a powder form. Luckily one of the employees recognized what the lead pig actually was.
Several of the employees handled the item without gloves and were taken to get testing done.
Everything came back ok and the store will reopen without issue. No word so far on what radioactive material may have been in the lead pig.