Woman Rushed To Hospital After Being Exposed To Live Christmas Tree
An Ohio woman’s Christmas plans had a bit of a wrench thrown into them this year. The woman was looking forward to decorating her first real Christmas tree with her daughter but ended up being rushed to the emergency room instead.
According to a report, Angela Presti from Parma OH, had just picked up her first real Christmas tree from a tree lot. Brought it home and set it up in the house, then started to decorate it. A few hours later she noticed something was not right with her.
Her face was swollen and her cheeks were hot and itchy. She assumed it was due to holiday stress and some other personal ailments and didn’t think anything of it. Eventually, her hands, feet, and tongue all started to swell as well.
Presti was able to call her father who then rushed her to the local hospital ER. She passed out and collapsed in the emergency room where they had to administer epinephrine. Medical staff kept asking her what she had eaten because they could tell it was an allergic reaction. That’s when they figured out it was from the Christmas tree.
Turns out a small percentage of people suffer from a condition called Christmas Tree Syndrome. It’s not technically a reaction to the Christmas tree itself, but to the mold and spores that grow on the tree. This allergy is pretty common, the severity of Presti’s reaction though is rare.
Typical symptoms from this allergy are skin rashes and troubled breathing which are very common this time of the year. Needless to say, it’s probably safe to assume that Angela will be getting artificial trees from here on out.
Now if you’re looking for tips on how to prevent Christmas Tree Syndrom symptoms check out the tips towards the bottom of this link.